ToyTalk technology was designed from day one with privacy and security in mind. Our products meet or exceed the requirements of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and have been certified as such by the independent verification program kidSAFE+. As parents ourselves, with a career-long commitment to family entertainment, safety is a priority for the company. Conversations recorded through ToyTalk’s products are never used for advertising, marketing, or publicity purposes.
— Oren Jacob, CEO, ToyTalk
While Hello Barbie is still being developed by ToyTalk and Mattel, there are several additional points worth mentioning that may help clarify how the doll works, and we will use our current products in market like SpeakaZoo and SpeakaLegend (available on the iOS App Store) as a guide for how we intend to implement Hello Barbie this Fall.
- Although the underlying technology of ToyTalk’s products works much like Siri, Google Now, and Cortana, ToyTalk products never search the open web for answers; all responses are carefully crafted by our own creative team to entertain and delight children and do not contain marketing messages.
- Hello Barbie’s microphone is only active when children hold the mic button down, similar to how a walkie-talkie is used.
- ToyTalk and Mattel will only use the conversations recorded through Hello Barbie to operate and improve our products, to develop better speech recognition for children, and to improve the natural language processing of children’s speech.
- Before anyone can talk to Hello Barbie, parents must grant consent, in accordance with COPPA, for us to collect and use the recordings for these purposes. This consent is necessary so we can perform speech recognition and understand what children are saying to Hello Barbie.
- As with our current products, parents can use our secure website to review all the data associated with their account or to delete any of it as they wish.
- ToyTalk does not store any data directly on the Hello Barbie doll itself; all data is stored on our secure servers in the cloud.
- All communication between Hello Barbie and our servers takes place over secure and encrypted https connections.